Incorporated on 1st January 1961, FCI was reorganized w.e.f. 1.4.1978. Under the reorganization plan, the operating fertilizer plants at Sindri (Jharkhand), Gorakhpur (UP), Talcher (Odisha), Ramagundam (Telangana) and a project site at Korba (Chhattisgargh), along with Jodhpur Mining Organization (Rajasthan) were formed into FCIL.
FCIL was referred to BIFR and declared sick under SICA, 1985 in November 1992, as it had eroded its entire net worth. GoI decided in 2002 to close operations of all Units of FCIL and release its employees on VSS, due to unviability of economic operations. Consequent upon the decision of GoI to close down all fertilizer Units and hive off Jodhpur Mining Organizations (JMO) into a separate company in September 2002, a Voluntary Separation Scheme (VSS) was offered to all its 5712 employees. All the employees, who opted for VSS have since been released, except few, who are engaged in discharging statutory obligations including safety and security of properties/assets of the various units and also the revival activities of the Company.
The Jodhpur mining organization has since been hived off from FCIL under the FCIL revival plan into a separate company, FAGMIL, in April 2004.
However, in the year 2007, due to shortage of domestic Urea and availability of large land banks, infrastructure and tied-up rail, watger & electricity in the units of FCIL, GoI decided to revive all units of FCIL.
Government of India approved in September 2008, Policy for new Investments in the Urea Sector.
Government of India constituted Empowered Committee of Secretaries (ECOS) in October 2008 with the mandate to evaluate all options of revival of closed units of FCIL/HFCL and to make suitable recommendations for consideration of the Government.
After an Empowered Committee of Secretaries (ECOS) recommended a suitable model for revival, GoI on 4.8.2011 decided inter alia awarding individual units to selected parties (mix of Public & Private Sectors) on a concession basis. Revival by PSUs through ‘nomination route’ (Talcher Unit by RCF, GAIL & CIL), Ramagundam Unit by NFL & EIL and Sindri Unit by SAIL and Gorakhpur & Korba Project through ‘bidding route’ by private sector.
Subsequently, CCEA on 9.5.2013 approved waiver of GoI loan & interest, etc., of the Company to enable the Company to turn its net worth positive to fast-track the revival process and sale of unusable assets of three Units, i.e. Talcher, Ramagundam & Sindri Unit by reviving PSUs or FCIL. Thus, the Company was deregistered from BIFR on 27.6.2013, after its net worth became positive in the financial year 2012-13.
As on 31.3.2015, FCI had an authorized share capital of Rs.800 crore and paid up share capital of Rs.750.92 crore.
The Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru formally inaugurated the Ammonium Sulphate of Sindri factory on 2nd March 1952. It peaked in 1956-57 when operating at 95.51% of its rated capacity produced 339,061 tons.
Sindri Fertilizer Factory went on stream with the Power Plant; the Gas Plant; the Ammonia Synthesis Plant; and the Sulphate Plant and produced Ammonium Sulphate at 960 tons per day.
A Coke Oven Plant with rated capacity of 600 tons per day was installed in 1954.
Sindri factory installed various plants as follows:
80 MW Captive Power – This was the first plant, which went on stream in 1951. This plant was in operation till March 2002 and shutdown along with the shutdown of the Ammonia-Urea (SMP) plants.
(Shutdown since March 2002 due to GoI decision to close the Units)
960 TPD Ammonium Sulphate went into stream in 1951. Stopped in 1992. Sold to scrap dealer in 1998.
600 TPD (60 Oven) Coke Oven – Installed in 1954. Operation suspended in 1998 for user’s non-availability.
189 TPD Coke Oven Gas Based Ammonia – Installed in 1959. Phased out in 1978 due to obsolescence.
406 TPD Ammonium Sulphate Nitrate (Double Salt) installed in 1956. Phased out in 1978 due to obsolescence.
225 TPD Nitric Acid (53%) – Installed in 1959 and shut down since March 2002 due to GoI decision to close the plant.
400 TPD Sulphuric Acid Plant – Installed in 1968 and phased out in 1978 due to uneconomic operation of working with Pyrites.
Naphtha Reformation – Installed in 1969 and phased out in 1978 due to obsolescence.
60 TPD Ammonium Nitrate – Installed in 1970 and shutdown since March 2002 due to GoI decision to close all plants.
Sindri Modernization Plants with 900 Te Ammonia and 600 Te Urea – The Modernization Project, which is identical to Nangal Expansion Scheme, was installed in 1979 and shutdown since March 2002 due to GoI decision to close the plants.
20 TPD Ammonium Bicarbonate – Installed in 1985 and shutdown since March 2002 due to GoI decision to close the Plants.
The other Ammonia/Urea Plants of FCI are at Gorakhpur, Ramagundam and Talcher, which had also been stopped since June 90, March 1999, March 1999, respectively, due to non-viability of operating the old plants.